Old Sweetwater

Old Sweetwater

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Books, especially hard back

Books.
I didn't learn to enjoy reading until I was 21 years old! That's when my mom introduced me to a paperback book entitled, 'The Scent of Lilacs.' It was a mystery of sorts and from that day forward, I had at least one book going at all times.
Genres. I started with mysteries and still enjoy them the most. I actually read a few "Romance novels," though they were not the mushy-kissy-face kind. Yuk. I have bookcases full of books on knitting, sewing, gardening, self improvement, devotionals, novels, biographies, autobiographies, fiction, non-fiction and decorating.
The quote that describes my relationship with books is this: "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." ~Charles W. Eliot

Oh yes, I wished I could find that first inspirational book from my past.

1 comment:

voice of pendergrass said...

I too, didn't really appreciate the art and beauty of books til I was an adult. I have now learned that to me vacation means: a glass of ice tea, a nice soft chair and a book to transport me to another place and time.