Old Sweetwater

Old Sweetwater

Monday, July 27, 2009

Sweet Tea

Summer and iced tea....or as they say in the South, sweet tea.
I remember not long after we moved to Georgia, I asked a native southerner how she made her sweet tea. It was truly the most delicious tea I'd ever had. Southerners take their sweet tea seriously, so she sat me down and wrote:
1 family size Lipton tea bag.
1 1/2 cups of sugar (she told me this could vary by a half-cup depending on your sweet tooth).
Then she instructed me to heat 1 bag of tea just until it comes to a boil - DO NOT COOK IT, nor let it "steep forever."
Pour a little cold water into the pitcher & gradually add the hot tea alternating with stirring in the sugar so it will dissolve. Add remainder of cold water. Serve with lemon or lime [I much prefer lime]. OOOooooooooweeee!
Every time I drink sweet tea, I think of that young southern bride, Lori. Thank you for contributing the sweet tea recipe and said enjoyment of, into my life.

No comments: