Old Sweetwater

Old Sweetwater

Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Apron


Don't you like going to Barnes and Noble or Borders book store?
We get a "cup of java" and begin the hunt of the book that will inspire or bring a smile.
Last week I made a bee-line to the hobbies section. There were several books dedicated to the humble apron. Huh? The apron that in 1971, some women felt was a the proverbial choke collar?
The apron that symbolized female oppression back then?
The apron that liberated women burned, along with their bras? THAT apron? Yep, the very same. Most had great flair and were proud to be labeled "retro."
I've always liked aprons. I've got a half-apron that belonged to my great grandma. It's a sheer white dotted Swiss with RED dots and red ric-rak!
A dear friend from Norway, Gigi (pronounced with "hard gs"), made me a red checked half-apron with beautiful smocking.
I've got the matching aprons my mom (who's now with the Lord) made for my granddaughter (who was 3 at the time) and me. We faithfully wore them even if we made delicious goodies in her Easy Bake Oven.
Which kind do you like? The half apron? The chef or butcher's apron?
My grandma always wore those full aprons that went over her head & covered the whole front.
Do you have any wonderful memories of the humble apron. I'm glad "the old girl" is back.
You can see the pattern to the apron above and others at The Angry Chicken's "Tie One On."

No comments: