Old Sweetwater

Old Sweetwater

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Apples


I really like the look of apples.
They're cheerful.
There's something wholesome about them to me.
Fuji apples are my favorites.
They're crunchy and yet very sweet.
A dear friend gave my honey and I a bag of home-grown, organic apples.
I washed one and bit into....well....a rather less-than-sweet apple.
I'll say this: they're not Fuji.
So, I got out the peanut butter.
Yes.
Peanut butter.
I schmeeeerred the gooey, golden brown spread on each bite.
Am I missing something, or is there a recipe for an apple/peanut butter pie?
Or is there a recipe for apple-peanut butter cookies?
Which apple is your favorite?

5 comments:

Becky Garrison said...

I'm with you - Fuji's are my favorite! They are crisp and firm, but sweet and even juicy. They are great for eating and for cooking, too!

Another favorite is Rome Beauty apples - they are best for cooking.

By the way, my favorite way to eat an apple is with a few slices of a nice sharp cheddar cheese - yum - a great lunch if you ask me!

Donna said...

Chris loves peanut butter with apples. I was actually wondering this week if there is an apple-peanut butter cake. I think it is time to go to the Apple Festival in Elijay. We have only gone once and it was the year we moved to Georgia.
By the way, thanks for inviting me to read your blog. Your writing is like having a conversation with you. I can hear your voice as I read. It makes me miss you though.

voice of pendergrass said...

I love Gala apples! We enjoy one every day with our lunch and I've been making apple pies with them with Splenda! My husband loves them, in fact, that's what he's going to have for his Birthday cake... he much prefers cake to pies, and apple is the pie of choice this time of year.

Sherry said...

You're right -- looking at apples, they are cheerful!!

I like a crisp macintosh sometimes (only in the fall!). I like golden delicious (but not red delicious). I like a granny smith and rome apples are nice. I also like russets -- there is something crisp and tangy about those little beauties!

Stacey said...

I agree with you! Fujis are our favorite to eat. They are sweet and crisp.

I love to decorate with apples too. I have them in jars and baskets around the kitchen and family room. Both red and green. My younger son takes it upon himself to be on apple control. He watches to see when they are getting mushy. Then we feed them to the critters out in the woods.